Get fast answers to common questions and discover how Sunny Fresh® products add value to your operation.
How are Sunny Fresh products different than other egg offerings?
Sunny Fresh products are made from real eggs, sourced from healthy hens and featuring the best ingredients. We add further processing to help simplify kitchen preparation and leverage chef insights to ensure our products meet today’s trends for taste and convenience.
What is the shelf life of your products?
- Refrigerated Liquid Eggs: 70 days for carton products and 60 days for bag-in-box products. Use within 3 days of opening carton or bag.
- Frozen Egg Products (cartons and bags): 1 year frozen. Once thawed, use within 3 days.
- Prepared Egg Products: A minimum of 6 months for frozen egg products. Once thawed, use within 2 to 3 days.
Hard Cooked Eggs: Pillow Pak: 10 weeks. Pail products: 9 weeks. Once opened, use within 2-3 days.
- Can the shelf life be extended on hard cooked eggs? Unfortunately, we are not able to give shelf life extensions for hard cooked products. Shelf life is validated to the declared dates to ensure both quality and micro levels are optimal.
What are the conversion rates from liquid eggs to shell eggs?
In general, use these guidelines:
- 3 tbsp liquid = About 1 large shell egg
- 1 cup liquid = About 5 large eggs
- 1-lb. carton liquid = About 9 large shell eggs
Can I freeze excess ESL® products or Refrigerated Liquid Egg products?
They can be frozen, but it is not recommended. The liquid egg will separate and will need to be shaken or stirred when thawed. Once thawed after being frozen, they must be used immediately and should not be refrozen.
Can I freeze hard cooked eggs?
Freezing hard cook product leads to significant quality issues that makes the product very rubbery and unusable. We do not recommend freezing as a solution.
What is the cost of a Sunny Fresh® omelet vs. cracking my own eggs?
When you add up the expenses of labor, kitchen prep and cleanup, product waste and the additional ingredients required for from-scratch cooking, Sunny Fresh® omelets offer a better value while also delivering a homestyle taste experience for guests.
What is the difference between Sunny Fresh® omelets and frittatas?
With omelets, ingredients are placed inside the fold of the eggs. With frittatas, the ingredients are mixed with and baked right into the eggs before folding, which creates less mess when preparing, presenting and eating the item.
What is the best way to prepare and serve Sunny Fresh® products?
Why are some unique ingredients used in certain Sunny Fresh® products?
Sunny Fresh® products help you delight guests by enhancing egg flavor, appearance and performance in more challenging applications.
- Citric Acid may be used to standardize the pH of our products and generate a consistent flavor and appearance. Specifically, we use it to prevent our Refrigerated Liquid Eggs and other products from taking on a greenish hue.
- Annatto, a natural colorant derived from tropical achiote trees, is sometimes included to enhance the classic golden color of our eggs.
- Nisin, a natural preservative and a peptide (protein) obtained in culturing milk, may be added to some products. Nisin is an anti-microbial and prevents spoilage from bacteria in our egg products.
Why do my eggs sometimes look green after I pull them out of the steamer?
Shell eggs will naturally darken or “green” if they are over-cooked or held too long at too high of a temperature. Greening is harmless and does not affect the wholesomeness of the eggs, but can result in wasteful throwaways since many operators toss products due to their appearance. Sunny Fresh’s value-added eggs can help you avoid this phenomenon and the costly product waste that can accompany it.
How do you read a Julian date?
The Julian date code assigns a three-digit number to each day of the year, from 001 (January 1st) to 365 (December 31st). A fourth digit such as the number ‘0’, or the fourth and fifth digits as in ‘10’, can represent year 2010. So, for products produced on August 11, 2010, the Julian date code would read “2230” or “22310”:
- 223 = August 11 (the 223rd day of the year)
- 0 or 10 = 2010
Do you offer Kosher products?
Many of our products are Kosher. Check our Products section for the type of item you are looking for and whether it meets Kosher criteria.
Should I remove the bag from the Individually Wrapped items before I cook them?
No. These items are purposefully designed so that the bag retains just the right amount of heat for more even cooking. All of the Individually Wrapped items are made from ovenable, microwavable and food-safe Mylar.
How can I move forward with placing an order?
Our Minimum Order Quantity (MOQ) is 5,000 lbs. for pick-up or delivery.
- For delivered orders, fresh and frozen products must individually meet the minimum order quantity as we cannot guarantee delivery on the same truck.
- For customer pick-ups, as long as your carrier is able to separate the temperatures with a bulk head or divider you can place both frozen or fresh items on the same PO.
Orders must be placed by 4:00 pm Central Time on Thursdays for delivery by Friday two weeks later.
- Please note if your item is Made to Order; our lead time is 28 business days for those items.
Our FOB point is J&B Cold Storage in St. Michael, MN. Our manufacturing plants are for production and are not equipped to be set up as FOB points.
To place an order, please contact Customer Service at: (800)-USA-EGGS or via email at [email protected]